Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rise of the Reds Update: Red Aviation
SWR Productions Forum > SWR Projects > Rise of the Reds > Frontline News
Pages: 1, 2
MARS
In today's little update, we want to show you some more model and texture revisions. This time, you'll get a look at the new Russian Airfield, the Mi-40 Hunchback assault transport and the Mi-26 Halo cargo helicopter.

Svea Rike
Ah! Just as I checked in, a new update arrived! Beutiful models yet again! Although, I can't see the difference in the Hunchback?
MARS
Old Hunchback render for comparison:

We basically smoothed out some of the rough edges and added a sharper texture to it.
Nemanja
This new Airfield is so beautiful ! Also very convincing compared to old one,
and Helicopter skins are way better.Any chance of Su-25s and Boris' MiGs getting new skins ?
MARS
Boris' MiG-45 doesn't really need an improvement as it is quite rare anyway. Can't comment on the Su-25 right now because we're actually in the process of testing some major changes to Russian aircraft and helicopters.
Nemanja
Well I've just asked about textures... 8I.gif
__CrUsHeR
I liked the new Airfield, seems more real, the textures of Halo also became more beautiful. Good work.
Panzer4life
Nice update, really looking forward to the update. So what are the major changes coming to the Red Army airforce, are we getting a new bomber to replace the frogfoot? sad.gif
Dangerman
That new Russian Air-field looks sweet, these make-overs are defintely giving the Russians the look and feel that is comparable to the ECA in terms of production quality.
ubermensche
QUOTE (Panzer4life @ 22 Oct 2013, 14:23) *
Nice update, really looking forward to the update. So what are the major changes coming to the Red Army airforce, are we getting a new bomber to replace the frogfoot? sad.gif

I don't think so. The Frogfoot is one of the most popular aircrafts in the game. And it suits the Russian's strategy of relentless assault very well. It'll be quite a dumb move to remove it.
X1Destroy
I though you said that the airfield was good enough and changing it would be pointless? laugh.gif

Comr4de
QUOTE (X1Destroy @ 22 Oct 2013, 13:59) *
I though you said that the airfield was good enough and changing it would be pointless? laugh.gif

That's what was probably said until the job went to my desk.

Went under the lines of:

Then you get the Airfield.
MARS
QUOTE (ubermensche @ 22 Oct 2013, 20:41) *
I don't think so. The Frogfoot is one of the most popular aircrafts in the game. And it suits the Russian's strategy of relentless assault very well. It'll be quite a dumb move to remove it.

Actually, the Frogfoot is popular due to a number of wrong reasons. Granted, it's iconic and looks cool but from a purely functional standpoint, it is -too- essential to the way people play Russia; it turns the VVS Air Support unlock into a no-brainer choice which is exactly what we wanted to avoid in order to diversify things, hence why the changes that are in testing right now will be radical and possibly even controversial. Whatever happens to the Frogfoot will be part of a broad effort that also affects Russian helicopters and other aircraft in order to create a greater incentive for tactical variety. We did not make the Russian airforce a GP unlock just for people to pick it all the time. By design, Russia is actually meant to be able to win without planes, relying only on tanks and gunships and we are hoping to make this a real possibility so that using aircraft becomes an alternative, not the essential go-to method of playing Russia.
Nemanja
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Oct 2013, 21:30) *
Actually, the Frogfoot is popular due to a number of wrong reasons. Granted, it's iconic and looks cool but from a purely functional standpoint, it is -too- essential to the way people play Russia; it turns the VVS Air Support unlock into a no-brainer choice which is exactly what we wanted to avoid in order to diversify things, hence why the changes that are in testing right now will be radical and possibly even controversial. Whatever happens to the Frogfoot will be part of a broad effort that also affects Russian helicopters and other aircraft in order to create a greater incentive for tactical variety.

This sounds like presage of something that'd make dozen of people go butt-hurt...Just sayin'...
Will that major change take place in next version or in 2.0 ?
__CrUsHeR
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Oct 2013, 17:30) *
By design, Russia is actually meant to be able to win without planes, relying only on tanks and gunships and we are hoping to make this a real possibility so that using aircraft becomes an alternative, not the essential go-to method of playing Russia.

That means we can expect even more power by the Russian ground troops? ohmy.gif
Pepo
nice ,i like those textures.
also has long has we can still built froogfoots,i don't mind if they get tweaked(should be more anti tank and less anti structure)
Dangerman
QUOTE (Re_Simeone @ 22 Oct 2013, 20:48) *
This sounds like presage of something that'd make dozen of people go butt-hurt...Just sayin'...

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 22 Oct 2013, 21:09) *
That means we can expect even more power by the Russian ground troops? ohmy.gif

I'm not sure what Russia will get in 1.85 that'll be faction-wide, though I think a crippling weakness in terms of direct firepower is that they lack a good crowd control unit and/or splash damage units.
Comr4de
QUOTE (Re_Simeone @ 22 Oct 2013, 14:48) *

Next version. I will say though, the new Heli's are awesome.
Nemanja
QUOTE (Comr4de @ 22 Oct 2013, 22:57) *
Next version. I will say though, the new Heli's are awesome.

I really can't wait to see that...
By new heli's,new like really new ones,or overhauled old ones ?
Comr4de
QUOTE (Re_Simeone @ 22 Oct 2013, 16:00) *
I really can't wait to see that...
By new heli's,new like really new ones,or overhauled old ones ?

You know I can't answer that, you'll find out soon enough.
ubermensche
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Oct 2013, 15:30) *
hence why the changes that are in testing right now will be radical and possibly even controversial. Whatever happens to the Frogfoot will be part of a broad effort that also affects Russian helicopters and other aircraft in order to create a greater incentive for tactical variety.

I don't know if I like the sound of that. Although it makes lots of sense as unlocking the VVS airfield is a no-brainer right now.
TheCeLL
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Oct 2013, 15:30) *
Actually, the Frogfoot is popular due to a number of wrong reasons. Granted, it's iconic and looks cool but from a purely functional standpoint, it is -too- essential to the way people play Russia; it turns the VVS Air Support unlock into a no-brainer choice which is exactly what we wanted to avoid in order to diversify things

We did not make the Russian airforce a GP unlock just for people to pick it all the time. By design, Russia is actually meant to be able to win without planes, relying only on tanks and gunships and we are hoping to make this a real possibility so that using aircraft becomes an alternative, not the essential go-to method of playing Russia.

I disagree actually. I use the tesla unlock quite often in multiplayer games. Frogfoots are quite expensive, and die easily to AA. They are really only effective against large clumps of tanks without anti-air. Tesla tanks are quite versatile, being effective against both infantry and vehicles, though they are also fragile. Especially when attacking, they are too expensive to risk losing one to AA, since they are so fragile. Not to mention Russia does not have Spectre Gunships or Recon Planes to distract AA with.
GeneralCamo
QUOTE (InsurgentCell @ 22 Oct 2013, 17:53) *
I disagree actually. I use the tesla unlock quite often in multiplayer games. Frogfoots are quite expensive, and die easily to AA. They are really only effective against large clumps of tanks without anti-air.

How often does that occur? I'm sure it never occurs. [/sarcasm]

Also, those frogfoots can withstand a lot of firepower. And this discussion isn't how effective the Tesla Tank is or isn't, it is how OP the air units.

Also, did it occur to you that it is possible to unlock both?
__CrUsHeR
I'm starting to think that the Frogfoot may be out of next version because of the balance between the factions... this can happen?
Panzer4life
QUOTE (Comr4de @ 22 Oct 2013, 17:23) *
You know I can't answer that, you'll find out soon enough.

Ah, why you pull our legs like this? But I understand why the Frogfoot needs balance. But what else can you guys do for a CAS aircraft? The Nighthawk clears bunkers, the hellfire mig drops bombs, the harrier loiters like a boss, and the GLA interceptor can use guns or rockets to harass. Maybe the Su-25 (or replacement) can use a set of bombs and cannon fire? That way it doesn't benefit from the rocket compression engine, but it still retains the tactical bomber feel.

Neo3602
Nice Texture Update I'm sad to hear that the Frogfoot will be changed, Hopefully in exchange Russia will get a ground based way to deal with lots of tanks that doesn't involve just shooting them to death with your own tanks
Svea Rike
Now what's the problem of using your own tanks? Theres a reason Russia has many powerful tanks which can be mustered to form a large army in minutes and reducing any opposing vehicular army in seconds.
Knjaz.
QUOTE (InsurgentCell @ 23 Oct 2013, 0:53) *
I disagree actually. I use the tesla unlock quite often in multiplayer games. Frogfoots are quite expensive, and die easily to AA. They are really only effective against large clumps of tanks without anti-air. Tesla tanks are quite versatile, being effective against both infantry and vehicles, though they are also fragile. Especially when attacking, they are too expensive to risk losing one to AA, since they are so fragile. Not to mention Russia does not have Spectre Gunships or Recon Planes to distract AA with.

Quite the opposite - upped Frogfoots annihilate T1 AA, and are capable of taking down T2 AA as well, to a limit - especially when on the move. Their range allows them to do that.

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 23 Oct 2013, 8:25) *
Now what's the problem of using your own tanks? Theres a reason Russia has many powerful tanks which can be mustered to form a large army in minutes and reducing any opposing vehicular army in seconds.

Wrong again - China surpasses Russia on the ground, in current public version of RotR (1802). Both in direct damage and AoE. (especially the latter).
Pepo
QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 23 Oct 2013, 7:25) *

against china they lose.overlord +Hopper tank spam defeat anything on ground(maybe eca tanks with manticore do a little better)seriously, china is Op
Nemanja
People,people,it is not yet confirmed that Frogfoot is out,so don't panic.
I rather think that Airfield unlock would be moved to higher rank,
or it would be reworked in similar fashion as GLA one works,example :
Lvl1 unlocks aierfield and Berkuts,
Lvl2 unlocks paratroopers,
Lvl3 unlocks Froogfoots.
GDIZOCOM
I like that new airfield 8Isov.gif

Any chance of a GLA update soon?
Claine
this update soo sweet, not only by seeing it, i can totally play it ani8b.gif

thank's team
SpiralSpectre
Gawd I can't take my eyes off that Airfield! It's beyond the level of awesome! :3

edit - oh my reworking Ruskie airfield to unlock like the GLA one would require a rework of the 3 lvl gen power that would replace. Probably won't happen.

Dunno how China being OP jumped into the conversation... how about replacing Hopper's cannons with MGs? Maybe those can be replaced with cannons in later tiers through some kinda upgrade?
Neo3602
QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 22 Oct 2013, 23:25) *

There is nothing wrong with using your own tanks, but sometimes that isn't an option(ie. against a Chinese hopper/battlemaster spam) and it would be nice to have something to counter that, that is ground based
TheSneakyGLA
Any obscure information about GLA? mellow.gif
Svea Rike
MARS has said he has an upcoming update about GLA.
X1Destroy
QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 23 Oct 2013, 7:25) *

Massed AOE spam. Massed minefields. Massed small units that do not lack firepower in anyway.

Sure, nothing wrong with using tanks. But there are times and places that you can't use tanks even if when you want to.

BTW, I hope that the stats of the frog won't change because that's how the most expensive jet should be. Changing the upgrade is fine.
Nemanja
QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 23 Oct 2013, 16:14) *
edit - oh my reworking Ruskie airfield to unlock like the GLA one would require a rework of the 3 lvl gen power that would replace. Probably won't happen.

I didn't say that it would happen,just gave example to people to open their minds little bit,
no one actually stated that Frogfoot will be scrapped,yet everyone are panicking.
But again you can't say that something similar wont happen,just read what MARS stated few posts back...
Something "radical and possibly even controversial" is about to happen...
Claine
frog-foot is under contraction of testla technology right now, i guess... hopefully he can survive so we can see him again, probably one of General smile.gif
BLGMGL
Just please don't remove Su-25 under any circumstances!

Anyway, I don't think Frogfoots are extensively used due to their ridiculously high cost. Although one can unlock airfield GP, Frogfoots are limited to 3, unlike 4 in USA and China. Hence, the balance!

Don't let US aggressors capture our beloved Mother Russia's asset!
http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment....mp;d=1093969957
MARS
This is a problem that is not mitigated by the cost, because it stems from the very function of the Frogfoot itself. Right now, getting the VVS unlock in order to field Frogfoots is widely regarded as essential to playing Russia because the Frogfoot allows them to deliver a decently sized blob of massive damage with little delay. This creates a railroad situation where you still have the choice to pick something else, but you're extremely inclined to get the VVS just so that you don't miss out on that crucial advantage that Frogfoots (not even Berkuts, ONLY Frogfoots) provide. And that's the problem: By design, the Russian air force was never meant to give you a -crucial- advantage. It was meant to be useful under a variety of circumstances (more so than the GLA's) but not to the point where you're at a literal disadvantage if you miss out on it. It's a design-breaking imbalance that we consciously left in the game for years for lack of a viable alternative, which we are now trying to find by making the intended tank/helicopter combination more viable.
Eagle 11
^
hint: MRLS. Range increase. Seperation of warheads into AT & Flame.
tongue.gif
Nemanja
Well it is not like that SWR will lost tons of money if remove or limit something community doesn't want them to.
Anyway,you guys have really sparkled my imagination with that statement about enhancing current Russian helicopters,
can't wait to see them how they would perform in game.
SpiralSpectre
QUOTE (Re_Simeone @ 24 Oct 2013, 2:34) *
I didn't say that it would happen,just gave example to people to open their minds little bit,
no one actually stated that Frogfoot will be scrapped,yet everyone are panicking.
But again you can't say that something similar wont happen,just read what MARS stated few posts back...
Something "radical and possibly even controversial" is about to happen...

Ofc people are panicking. Panicking seems to be one of the main activities in the forums these days. Anyway I was rather pointing out why your guess is unlikely to happen, that's all. On the other hand that may just spread more panic!

But yeah it was more fun when people used to try to guess stuff once some sort of hint about a future development was dropped. These days they just panic and complain about something they don't know fully if at all... where has all the fun gone. sad.gif

edit - anyone wants to guess about new Russian helis? My vote is they're gonna be new and creative. Not helis that has seen, I dunno, maybe about three generations of combat.
Nemanja
I rather like to bet than guess,but since here is no betting option I'll have to guess...
I don't have anything more to say about jets,but as far as Helicopters go,I guess that
we are going to get new heli in next version while some of current ones would be
temporary removed until its reappearance in 2.0 where would be overhauled not just visually but gameplay vise.
SpiralSpectre
Why re-texture the current helis now if some of them would get temporarily removed in the next version? Yeah otherwise Russia would have a LOT of helis in the next version but such redundancies are accepted in betas and are left to be solved once the gens are implemented in 2.0.
Nemanja
QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 24 Oct 2013, 10:42) *
Why re-texture the current helis now if some of them would get temporarily removed in the next version? Yeah otherwise Russia would have a LOT of helis in the next version but such redundancies are accepted in betas and are left to be solved once the gens are implemented in 2.0.

My mistake,I wanted to say one.Not some.
Emin96
nice work! I'm very curious for eca and gla updates I heard that 1.85 will end this year.its true??
katmoda12
Very nice update!!

some questions:

-I can't find any relevant difference between the new and old hunchback, astonishing both btw, can someone enlight me on this?

-I will miss the sexy red lights on the sides of the airstrips... very beautiful render.

On the frogfoot; it'd be a sad day if this beauty gets ripped off, but VVS is indeed a no-brain point spent... what if the frogfoot gets Vikr missiles and became the the Su-25T?
Shatterfury
If it can be answered, what do you guys plan?

Nerf the Frogfoot, add a new unit or add an ability to an existing unit.

I was thinking....the Buratino is not used that much, so why not add an ability for it to perform an artillery barrage that is exactly like the attack of the Frogfoot.

Said ability should have a cooldown ,30 sec, 45 sec , etc. that can be determined later.The ability could have a bigger range then the standard attack, up to the range of standard artillery.I don`t remember when the Buratino is available but it can be changed that it has the same tech requirements as the Froggie.

You could keep it as it is and add an expansive buyable upgrade that is activated later, but I guess the slots are in high demand.

This new Buratino, if the special ability has the range of standard artillery, will not overlap with the MSTA because it will have a big cooldown.

The new Buratino should be balanced so that the Froggie is still a better alternative.

What do you guys think?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.