Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why the Hell are you not running windows 7 yet?
SWR Productions Forum > Community > The Databank
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Prophet of the Pimps
so basically MS if giving you their best OS ever for a year for free. So why aren't you running it? Basically the only valid answer is that your hardware is more then 3 years old. or else 7 runs faster then XP on newer Hardware and has fixed 99% of things that was wrong in vista.
The_Hunter
i\m not running it becouse i cannot be arsed to reinstall my whole system and there is no garantue all my software will work on 7.
Prophet of the Pimps
you running XP or vista? Its a straight of upgrade and all software work on it. and if they dont 7 warns you about it before proceeding with the install. hell i directly ported every setting from vista to, 7 pre beta, beta and then Rc. Thats four successful upgrades.
The_Hunter
both actualy i'm running vista on my laptop and XP on my pc.
Prophet of the Pimps
updating from XP to 7 is a bitch but try it on the lappy. i assure you, you will not regret it.
MARS
I'm still running XP but now that you mention it, I might switch to 7 early next year, mainly because I may get a hardware update
for Christmas. This'll go with a complete system restoration from the ground up which is something I usually try to do every 2-3 years.
The_Hunter
^ That's probably what i will do aswell.
Wi-Ta
I think i will wait fore some updates.
Then i give it a try on a own hard disk.
Why ?
You can say i am a burnd child because of vista.
blowthebullet
im not going to windows 7 this year, maybe early next year with some hardware-upgrades (if there is no driver issue like vista). What about the new DX11 API, is this only going to work on windows 7 ? and what is so special about it because ATI has shown his first GPU (RV870) to the public that support DX11 and i hope that it will not be dx10 scenario over again like: you must buy win7 for DX11 etc...
Comr4de
I want it but I don't want to upgrade just yet. Likely whenever I do another major computer upgrade.
Prophet of the Pimps
i have installed windows 7 on close to 7 different computers and only a sony vaio was a bithc with the drivers. Everything else worked out of the box or just needed a net connection to grab the drivers from windows update. And the PC range from Netbooks, toi7 beasts, to a p4 with a only 512 mb or ram. it ran on all with zero issues.
The_Hunter
what happens when windows 7 goes live however ?
Comr4de
QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 4 Jun 2009, 3:21) *
what happens when windows 7 goes live however ?

8Ip.png

From what I heard the version you get is good for an entire year so you may get the real deal in the middle of it. Right after that time period is over however, you may just have to buy it.
The_Hunter
QUOTE (Comr4de @ 4 Jun 2009, 12:47) *

XD.gif

Pure gold.
Prophet of the Pimps
you can use it till feb end with n0 issues. After that it will be on for two hours after initiating a shut down. On June it will deactivate. And you can by editing a single text file in the final windows 7 retail version to update Windows 7 Rc to the final version so all your settings and app get transferred with zero issues. Migration from Vista and 7 beta builds to final is a very very painles process if you are 100% sure your Pc is not infected with a virus.
Dutchygamer
I wait until the official release, and until I need to reinstall my OS (because of problems or something). I've had bad results the last time I installed an OS duh_worm.gif
-Xv-
I'm still happy with my XP Pro Ty.

Don't fix what isn't broken.
Comr4de
QUOTE (-Xv- @ 6 Jun 2009, 5:36) *
I'm still happy with my XP Pro Ty.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Agreed pimp_smile.gif

(your iconic smiley has returned 'pimp)
Revan
Because it is not certain that Windows 7 does not contain DRM mechanisms, for example on some pages it is stated that it sabotages your audio card so you cannot re-record music.
beefJeRKy
I've been using the RC alongside Vista and Ubuntu 9.04. I'm waiting for when I can completely dump Vista and its sluggishness. We'll see what happens soon.
Alias
Not running it as I have no need to run Windoze anymore.
Ascendancy
Because I have yet to build a tower capable of doing so. And by the time I do the non-RC version of Windows 7 will be out.
Sargeant Rho
I might upgrade to it during summer vacations.

I don't have it yet due to my 4 year old mainboard and CPU...
Prophet of the Pimps
QUOTE (Ascendancy @ 7 Jun 2009, 9:10) *
Because I have yet to build a tower capable of doing so. And by the time I do the non-RC version of Windows 7 will be out.

What? I have it running on my netbook and i just installed it on a old p4 with 512 mb of ddr1 ram and it ran as good as xp.

Also October 22nd is the release.
RaiDK
Running 7 on 3 computers since the beginning of the year. Loving it and would never go back to XP.
Pickysaurus
I'm not running it because the current RC lacks a mail client.
I used Vista's default Windows Mail
Nidmeister
Funnily enough, I'm downloading it now.
I've heard some great reviews, and I've been meaning to get it for a while.
Destiny
I'd be lying if didn't I say a lot of software was made with XP in mind. But yea, I'm sticking to XP...

...until 7 is finally done I8.gif
Shock
After which you will get Windows 7 Professional in order to use the Windows XP mode 8I.gif
Thez
XP works fine so far, why fix what ain't broke.
When it does break and I have an excuse for an overhaul, I'll get it.
Till then I can't really be arsed to do it just yet.
Ascendancy
QUOTE (Prophet of the Pimps @ 7 Jun 2009, 1:18) *
What? I have it running on my netbook and i just installed it on a old p4 with 512 mb of ddr1 ram and it ran as good as xp.

Also October 22nd is the release.

As much as it's probably useful on such an old tower of mine (P4 @ 2.4 GHz, 1.5 GB of DDR SDRAM PC2100), I decided that I'll just wait until I build my new tower which is gonna be comprised of at the minimum 4 GB of DDR2 800 RAM, an AMD Phenom II X4 940/955 Black Edition on an ASUS M4A78 Plus motherboard.

I know what I'm building in the near future and I might as well use what I have now because what isn't broken shouldn't be fixed. As much as I'm unhappy with my tower now...it has given me plenty of years of service with XP.
beefJeRKy
QUOTE (Ascendancy @ 8 Jun 2009, 2:13) *
As much as it's probably useful on such an old tower of mine (P4 @ 2.4 GHz, 1.5 GB of DDR SDRAM PC2100), I decided that I'll just wait until I build my new tower which is gonna be comprised of at the minimum 4 GB of DDR2 800 RAM, an AMD Phenom II X4 940/955 Black Edition on an ASUS M4A78 Plus motherboard.

I know what I'm building in the near future and I might as well use what I have now because what isn't broken shouldn't be fixed. As much as I'm unhappy with my tower now...it has given me plenty of years of service with XP.

If you're getting an AM3 CPU, might as well get some DDR3 ram like I did.
RaiDK
QUOTE (Thez @ 8 Jun 2009, 5:50) *
XP works fine so far, why fix what ain't broke.
When it does break and I have an excuse for an overhaul, I'll get it.
Till then I can't really be arsed to do it just yet.

It runs a lot better on modern machines.
Overdose
I'll just wait for a release because some of my favorite games have issues with it.
Shock
Too bad the release is pretty late, I'm seeking a new laptop for University but that will have to be here before the 22nd of October..
Crazykenny
Dunno why I'm not running it, probably because I got used to Windows Vista Ultimate.
RaiDK
QUOTE (Crazykenny @ 8 Jun 2009, 21:38) *
Dunno why I'm not running it, probably because I got used to Windows Vista Ultimate.

Windows 7 is to Vista as 98 was to 95.
beefJeRKy
QUOTE (Shock @ 8 Jun 2009, 12:53) *
Too bad the release is pretty late, I'm seeking a new laptop for University but that will have to be here before the 22nd of October..

People who get Vista systems after June get a free upgrade to Win7 I8.gif
Linky

EDIT: I FAILED XD.gif
Crazykenny
QUOTE (RaiDK @ 8 Jun 2009, 13:54) *
Windows 7 is to Vista as 98 was to 95.

Well, it has treated me well so far. I'll install Windows 7 upon my first BSoD? tongue.gif
Nidmeister
QUOTE (Beef @ 8 Jun 2009, 13:13) *
People who get Vista systems after June get a free upgrade to Vista I8.gif
Linky

A free upgrade from Vista to Vista must be the best thing Microsoft has ever thought of.
beefJeRKy
QUOTE (Nidmeister @ 8 Jun 2009, 17:16) *
A free upgrade from Vista to Vista must be the best thing Microsoft has ever thought of.

shit I fajled....
Crazykenny
QUOTE (Beef @ 8 Jun 2009, 16:46) *
shit I fajled....

Yes, epicly if I may note. ani8b.gif
Soho
Why would I change vista for 7? I8.gif
Crazykenny
QUOTE (Soho @ 9 Jun 2009, 11:01) *
Why would I change vista for 7? I8.gif

Its less system hogging.
Waris
How does Win7 handle audio? Is it similar to Vista (in handling audio streams)?
blowthebullet
The three rule of upgrading to a new OS:

if your system is running good and you have no plans upgrading your hardware or move to a new computer.
- don't make a change.

if you upgrade your computer with new memory or add a harddisk that works good with your current OS.
- dont't make a change.

if you buy a new pc our make a huge upgrade (motherboard, cpu, gpu and memory).
- look at it and make a choice for yourself wink.gif

People that are trying the last development version have a change that they are getting a error or BSOD so they have much work to get it going (im not going to try it so upgrade in early 2010) and with the thing 'its running smoother' or 'its just shiny' are retarded to say because thats a opinion and no reason.

People, think about a good reason why i should upgrade to windows 7.

for me OS == OS, it's just operates your system and nothing else, so windows 7 is for me the same like vista and xp because windows 7 operates the system only in a other way then windows xp and that fluffy stuff like a beautiful glass taskbar ? not important for me.

BTW, benchmarks show me that windows 7 is equal preforming like windows xp. link bechmark
silence
when the final version of Win7 will be released, then I'll use it on my other rig.
Sanctum
QUOTE (blowthebullet @ 3 Jun 2009) *
What about the new DX11 API, is this only going to work on windows 7 ? and what is so special about it because ATI has shown his first GPU (RV870) to the public that support DX11 and i hope that it will not be dx10 scenario over again like: you must buy win7 for DX11 etc...

DirectX 11 will be for Windows Vista as well as Windows 7.

QUOTE (Pickysaurus @ 7 Jun 2009) *
I'm not running it because the current RC lacks a mail client.
I used Vista's default Windows Mail

Microsoft removed Windows Mail because they'd prefer you get Windows Live Mail instead. They did the same with Windows Photo Gallery (7 comes with Windows Photo Viewer instead) and Windows Movie Maker.
beefJeRKy
QUOTE (Sanctum @ 9 Jun 2009, 23:19) *
DirectX 11 will be for Windows Vista as well as Windows 7.

Microsoft removed Windows Mail because they'd prefer you get Windows Live Mail instead. They did the same with Windows Photo Gallery (7 comes with Windows Photo Viewer instead) and Windows Movie Maker.

This reduces bloat in the OS as not everybody used those programs. Now they are optional downloads from Windows Live. A smart move I would say.
oo6red
I don't ever run OS versions that aren't final...and I only have one machine now anyway...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.