Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Les Paul dies
SWR Productions Forum > Community > General Chat
Alias
Legendary guitarist and inventor Les Paul, who pioneered designs of electric guitars, has died of complications from pneumonia at a New York hospital, his lawyer said. He was 94.

Attorney Michael Braunstein said Paul died at the White Plains Hospital in White Plains, New York.

He added that Paul had been "in and out of the hospital" for about two months and had battled a number of illnesses.

"At 94, it's hard to fight a lot of stuff," he said.

"He's a historical person. He certainly has left his mark here on Earth and had many, many friends."

Paul had been a dominant force in the music business since World War II.

He and wife Mary Ford enjoyed a string of hits in the 1940s and 1950s that included Mockin' Bird Hill and How High the Moon.

A passionate tinkerer, he created one of the first solid-body electric guitars in 1941, and went on to pioneer multi-track recording.

Paul played a key role in the birth of rock 'n' roll in the early 1950s when he teamed up with Gibson Guitar Corp. to help design a sleek model that bears his name.

An instant success, its basic structure has barely changed over the decades.

Despite arthritis and hearing problems, Paul remained an indefatigable musician, playing regularly at a New York jazz club into his 90s.

Paul is survived by three sons, a daughter and several grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Tributes

Guitarists and music industry figures have mourned his passing.

"My friend and mentor Les Paul died today at 94. He was one of the most stellar human beings I've ever known," former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash said.

"Les Paul was truly a 'one of a kind.' We owe many of his inventions that made the rock 'n roll sound of today to him, and he was the founding father of modern music," said blues guitarist BB King.

"Les Paul set a standard for musicianship and innovation that remains unsurpassed. He was the original guitar hero, and the kindest of souls," said guitarist Joe Satriani.

Gibson Guitar president Dave Berryman paid tribute to the 'Father of the Electric Guitar'.

"He was not only one of the world's greatest innovators but a legend who created, inspired and contributed to the success of musicians around the world," he said.

Neil Portnow, president of the Recording Academy, said Paul will always be remembered with "great fondness".

"Les Paul was a musical mastermind whose innovations in electric guitar and recorded music are unparalleled," he said.

"His magnetic charm and sunny disposition matched his incredible skill set and he will always be remembered with great fondness, humility, and respect."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/14/2655525.htm

Rest in Peace, good man.
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r
nvr heard of him but R.I.P
Stinger
Although I have never heard of the man before now, I can see that he achieved a great many things in his life. He left a mark on the world, influencing the sound of a generation. That is quite a legacy to have had.

Rest in peace.
RaiDK
QUOTE (C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r @ 14 Aug 2009, 9:11) *
nvr heard of him but R.I.P

Les Paul guitars

Of which I have one. RIP.
wardog
man thats horrible les paul was a good man R.I.P
Cobretti
One of the truly towering figures in American music is gone, and anybody who ever wrapped their hands around one of his namesake guitars’ shapely necks, anyone who digs the sound of electric guitar, and anyone who ever enjoyed listening to a multi-tracked recording — in short, everydamnedbody — needs to take a moment to send a grateful thought Les Paul’s way.

R.I.P.
Lord Atlantis
R.I.P. Les Paul.
wb21
Never knew him a lot but he greatly influenced the music industry for the next generations.

† R. I. P. †
The_Hunter
I never heard of this man before now either altho he defently left his mark in the music bussines RIP.
Shiro
I agree with all you, he seems to have been a great man, so RIP Les Paul.
Nidmeister
I am saddened.

Les Paul guitars are like, awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.