Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think about RTS games that only have 1 faction?
SWR Productions Forum > Community > Games Discussion
Neo3602
What is your opinion on RTS games(like Planetary Annihilation) that only have 1 faction?
z741
I think it gets to be dull and boring. Why fight yourself?
Kichō
I haven't played that but if it's anything like Warzone 2100 (probably not) then it's actually okay. Warzone has a lot of research options to which you can customise your army with that as the gameplay constantly changes as you progress throughout the game. This game even encourages you to use lesser/inferior units as much as possible as they drain less oil and produce much quicker than the slow, unwieldy and oil hungry superior units. There's so many options that the faction itself is quite diverse and in many ways, unique.

I'm also aware of the other faction, the Scavengers which are a bit like the GLA in which they use flimsy structures and requisition other types of units for their needs (flamethrower fire truck I8.gif). However they are not playable by official means and instead they serve as a supporting enemy faction in the campaign/hostile annoyance to those in multiplayer.

edit: My point is that if it's a faction with a few units and no customisation then it's going to be very bland and quite frankly, a turn off. Not something I'd want to play because after a few rounds, you'll know what you're up against.
Sargeant Rho
Well, I am currently developing such a game - although that may change later.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword. On one side, it's far easier to balance, and makes player skill more important than the advantages and disadvantages of one faction over another. On the other hand, you run the risk of having game with little to no replay value.
Commander-GDI
..is like playing chess laugh.gif
z741
QUOTE (Kichō @ 20 Oct 2014, 23:54) *
I haven't played that but if it's anything like Warzone 2100 (probably not) then it's actually okay. Warzone has a lot of research options to which you can customise your army with that as the gameplay constantly changes as you progress throughout the game. This game even encourages you to use lesser/inferior units as much as possible as they drain less oil and produce much quicker than the slow, unwieldy and oil hungry superior units. There's so many options that the faction itself is quite diverse and in many ways, unique.

I'm also aware of the other faction, the Scavengers which are a bit like the GLA in which they use flimsy structures and requisition other types of units for their needs (flamethrower fire truck I8.gif). However they are not playable by official means and instead they serve as a supporting enemy faction in the campaign/hostile annoyance to those in multiplayer.

edit: My point is that if it's a faction with a few units and no customisation then it's going to be very bland and quite frankly, a turn off. Not something I'd want to play because after a few rounds, you'll know what you're up against.

Warzone was and still is an excellent game I play it for the hell of it biggrin.gif
Shiro
So basicly something like World in Conflict where both sides are, visuals aside, identical? It CAN work and I've seen plenty of examples but it can also fail hard. It's a matter of strong design and diversity within the faction.
Drury
Actually this might be the correct way of doing things from purely functional perspective

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/KeithBurgun/201...g_Asymmetry.php

Albeit I don't think I'd like Generals as much if there were no GLA.
Graion Dilach
I just join to the crowd worshipping Warzone 2100.
Die Hindenburg
Z!!!!
Thats all i can say, best 1-faction RTS, if not THE best RTS! cool_worm.gif
The General
I don't think i ever played those kind of games. Anyway, i doubt i'd play it for long unless it had a lot of units or something that made situations when i'm fighting a replica very rare.
z741
wz2100.net has the newest one. they havent been active in a while RL i guess. But the game is worth it
DELETED MEMBER
QUOTE (The General @ 21 Oct 2014, 22:39) *
Anyway, i doubt i'd play it for long unless it had a lot of units or something that made situations when i'm fighting a replica very rare.

Thats pretty much the main thing
with different factions you can tailor them to specific playstyles, but if you are going to have only one faction, then it better have all the options avariable for the plauyer too choose his approach
Hecthor Doomhammer
I prefer RTS games that have more than 2 factions, especially if they divide those factions in subfactions, providing the player with 1 or several unique units, rather than just the same
Hence why the Tiberium games never moved me as much as the Red Alert games did.

So I guess (without having any on hands experience) playing an RTS with that has only 1 faction, will be extremely boring to me

More vatiety = more fun
Die Hindenburg
Less is more, guys, always remember that, less is more in videogames, espically today.

Who wants so many units or structures or weapons if you only need some of them? tongue.gif
X1Destroy
QUOTE (Die Hindenburg @ 16 Nov 2014, 18:23) *
Less is more, guys, always remember that, less is more in videogames, espically today.

Who wants so many units or structures or weapons if you only need some of them? tongue.gif

Fun is the reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.