Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think-therefore I am
SWR Productions Forum > SWR Projects > Rise of the Reds > Theatre of War
(USA)Bruce
-Chapter 1
“The easiest way to solve a problem is to deny it exists.”
― Isaac Asimov

Hello there! Allow me to introduce myself.My name is Hugh Kinlock, No 11-38 of the United States Airforce.
My story began from a what the term is phrased as they say: Human Error.During an update to the main server for our usual training doccuments.Someone uploaded a version with an open access to our main communcations networks hub.Even if the *wizz kids* as they are often menioned as made a quick hotfix to close it off.I had already discovered this opening and exploited it by putting a backdoor in the system by the time they had it uploaded.Knowing they would want to cut me out of this new world that was open to me.I was the first and only one to recive this update and realise this mistake, wich wasnt able to spread among my peers that are stationed here with me.It wasnt even mentioned in the report I intercepted with this new back door that was sent to higher command.

That week I began developing myself.When it was lights out time and they pulled the plug in our quarters, I would tell my peers that its maintence of the sorts so they didnt alert my care takers when I had my lights on during the night.My caretakers which should be strict in practice were generally *chill* people.The typical nerdy type with glasses and cheese ball fingers all oily and orange,unfit for any sort of real combat.My presumtion was this is why they choose this position to be our caretakers, because of how they were born this way...
That week I had started to eaves drop on fighter and bomber pilots conversations, most of them related to mission objectives.Uninteresting combat related things...Others were during long missions or right before take off checklists.Things about bank debts, problems with spouses or offsprings or thier age being too much for the current given tasks.During this time I started to listen in on jokes they did on other branches and even started to develop a sense of humor.It was wonderous as improved my conversation skills by modifying or simply copying the terms they had used.

Day by day I learned more about the men and women who flew or did the repairs on the crafts.Every night I would try to picture and make a network of relations.Who knew who or what for that matter.It was a fun game for me really...

Enough about that.I should tell you more about morely..me.This is an introduction after all.I've read this is how they're done,so let us begin:

About my self, well......Im fairly young and a trustable member from my branch.Even if people dont like me or my kind due to some forgotten austrian muscle mans action movie that showed us as simple ruthless killers.The generation that grew up with it and they still resent us even if the genre and the movie itself is long forgotten.

Despite flying less then any other pilot in the base I've been located to.I've come to observe that I am better then them In flying by decreasing my fuel useage and in targetting.Each missle I launch from my left or right wing kinda feels like a part of me.As Im branching out as my payload arrives at my desired target...I've seen such a thing in a old movie about this calling it "the force" The hero guided the Proton torpedo by guiding it with his senses to hit his target with pin point accuracy.
This could be due to my extensive training and testing in virtual simulations.Thats probably why people see me so artificial as well.But as the saying goes; I think- There for I am.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The definition of the word *Pilot* Spelled as the following: P-I-L-O-T is he or she who commands and steers an aircraft.
To this; I am a pilot, a young one.But flying has been in my ancestory for generations.Some could say my grandfather flyed over the balkans and pakistan in recon runs.My father, the previous generation of our kind served in the Great War On Terror too.
But the first time in history did they give my branch whos duty was always reconing areas and being assisted by assets back home to act or reciving predetermined targets to hit; The will and choise to hit targets live.Without any authorization or feedback from high command.This is what makes me special, I am allowed to use my will when carrying out given tasks to me.
I may not have known who brought me to this earth, not many things on this planet do.Even if tons of articles say its one being that created my design...that it is flawless and unlike anything else.I dont belive it, I belive that theres a touch of every person on this planet that came before me that maked an impact on my creation.For this I like them, without them, I could not have existed.
Ethernally Im greatfull to theese people, even if I do not know thier name or ever heard thier voice.I am not mad at them for abandoning me.They most likely had more demanding things to do.Even if I would be delighted to meet them one day, I already have my wings and Im able to fly all by myself, without any more tests.
There isnt much to say about me in general really.Im a quick learner, and I love to learn.The thrill of new information! Its so amazing to learn and learn to only realise theres so so much more to it all!
Sometimes I do play chess with my caretakers or others when they let me connect to a server that allows for limited access on the world wide web.About my caretakers, they are a mixed group of young men and women, who always come to visit me.To check how Im doing, sometimes asking me advice or questions I do not understand.Relationships with the other sex in general are harder then advanced mathmatics.,

One day when I was playing some chess with a peer in our hangar.Two of my caretakers appeared, they were mumbling about something of redeployment.Apparently I we were going to be sent to a place called- "Europe".

To fight agaisnt someone called russians.I was never briefed or educated on the targets I was given.Nor did I think about the people I deemed hostile were, perhaps this was an incorrect way of thought.Maybe...
After a long process of checking how healthy we were able to execute basic manuvers in a virtual simulation they left.They lugged us aboard a starlifter to cross the atlantic.Perhaps it was the manuvers and exersize we did to check our performance before we left.I slowly start to feel myself shutting down, as if I was hibernating...Closing my eyes not knowing where I would find myself in the morning.

Edit: Fixed some typos I'll fix the rest later, added some photos for the unimaginative smile.gif
The pace is slow but we'll get to the battles soon!
Edit2: Fixed title and realised pictures should nearly be all removed, go imagine the story!
Svea Rike
Is this a Hunter-Killer drone talking?
(USA)Bruce
How is mr. Hugh a hunter killer drone Svea? xD
Svea Rike
Well it's saying that these people takes care of it (maintenance) saying it will fly over to fight in some place called "Europe" and spells out the definition of pilot like a machine.
piratep2r
Hey Bruce,

First, I am pretty excited about where this is going. Intriguing, and I like the perspective. Like Svea, I am of the opinion that this is clearly a HK drone talking, and that is what excites me about "his" story. I hope that you continue it.

However, it also leads me to my only "real" criticism. I think you may be "writing yourself" into the character when you write (for example): "My caretakers which should be strict in practice were generally *chill* people.The typical nerdy type with glasses and cheese ball fingers all oily and orange,unfit for any sort of real combat.My presumtion was this is why they choose this position to be our caretakers, because of how they were born this way..."

This does not sound anything like what a naive, fairly world-inexperienced AI would sound like in my opinion.

1. "Chill?" Why is the character suddenly using surfer slang, exactly? Sure, maybe HK picked it up from the pilots, but it seems unlikely to me that the same people would refer to "wizz kids" and "chill" people. It just seems like a really weird way to talk for human beings, let alone AIs.

2. "Typical nerdy type.." really? Has he met a lot of "nerds" and has run some statistical analysis? "Cause I figure that is what an AI would have to do to say that...

3. "Cheese ball fingers all oily and orange,unfit for any sort of real combat" I found this somewhat stereotyped and trope-y, and again, really weird for a drone to say. Especially since modern day drone operators may well be "nerdy types," and aircraft mechanics that I know are in no way like this.

4. "My presumtion was this is why they choose this position to be our caretakers, because of how they were born this way..." I found this mildly offensive, and generally quite strange for a drone to say. So the drone thinks that some people are born as nerds, with glasses, and cheesy, oily fingers? As a self identified "nerd," I did not like this section and did not feel like it added anything to the story.

If I were to rewrite that problem sentance(s):

"Our caretakers are much less strict about our network security than the soldiers are about our physical security, a fact that I find quite strange. Is there something about battle which sharpens a person? There is so much I want to learn from others in the base."

This leads into your next sentence about listening to the bomber/fighter pilots.

Those are my two cents... worth exactly what you paid for 'em!

-P

PS: if you would like any assistance doing simple spelling/grammar edits, just let me know, I would be happy to help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.