Heavy Sniper discussion
__CrUsHeR
post 21 Jun 2015, 14:13
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

First I would like to say that Heavy Sniper is useful as an infantry, but I feel it is ineffective against vehicles (even against light vehicles), which apparently according to its description should be one of its strengths.

Considering that is the most expensive sniper in the game and unlocking T2 along with your hero is to be expected an infantry of greater potential within the arsenal of the faction.

I do not understand why the Heavy Sniper need to take distance to make the shot; which is strange and prevents becomes effective against fast units in defensive situations as a Techinical rush for exemple.

So I'd say a slight increase in its damage would be interesting.

It could also be interesting that the Heavy Sniper have two attack options: one dedicated for attacks against other vehicles (not attack infantry in this mode) and against infantry (not attack vehicles in this mode), as the ECA tends to have units with selective shooting modes (Grenadier, Leopard, etc.), with selectable multi-role capabilities.

I would like to hear opinions on this subject. wink.gif

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 21 Jun 2015, 14:18
Post #2

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10450

I kinda think they are abit niche to be honest. I usually only feild them against buggies.

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 21 Jun 2015, 14:40
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10811
Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

there good for dealing with buggies and technicals, when they decide not to go point blank to shoot them that is

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 21 Jun 2015, 15:08
Post #4

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

Now if only they could garrison sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kommandant Karis...
post 21 Jun 2015, 15:45
Post #5

Platoon 7, Gallian militia
Group Icon

Member No.: 10697
never go full tumblr

I think one of the biggest issues is the delay before firing. From what I recall during my time experimenting with them, it can give Buggies enough time to fire their salvo and be off again without a scratch. Insufficient damage to one-shot them is also a bit problematic, especially if Junk Repair has been researched. I personally find myself relying more on Tigers and the like to counter them, rather than Snipers.

However, I haven't had many chances to use them against infantry, so I can't say how well they perform in that department.

--------------------

Props to HoneyBee for the awesome sig!
My YouTube page

+Quote Post
8igDaddy8lake
post 21 Jun 2015, 17:00
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 10285

QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 21 Jun 2015, 9:13) *
First I would like to say that Heavy Sniper is useful as an infantry, but I feel it is ineffective against vehicles (even against light vehicles), which apparently according to its description should be one of its strengths.

Considering that is the most expensive sniper in the game and unlocking T2 along with your hero is to be expected an infantry of greater potential within the arsenal of the faction.

I do not understand why the Heavy Sniper need to take distance to make the shot; which is strange and prevents becomes effective against fast units in defensive situations as a Techinical rush for exemple.

So I'd say a slight increase in its damage would be interesting.

It could also be interesting that the Heavy Sniper have two attack options: one dedicated for attacks against other vehicles (not attack infantry in this mode) and against infantry (not attack vehicles in this mode), as the ECA tends to have units with selective shooting modes (Grenadier, Leopard, etc.), with selectable multi-role capabilities.

I would like to hear opinions on this subject. wink.gif

Yeah, they do seem a little too niche at the moment for a $700 infantry unit. They have long range and one-shot almost any infantry (Shock Troopers are problematic there), but suffer against anything else. There are a few different things that could address this:
- No minimum range
- Able to garrison
- Uncrushable when deployed
- Slightly more damage
- Some kind of extra ability (maybe explosive Raufoss rounds? Or they could have a laser designator and the Howitzer Targeting ability that the Bloodhound has)
- Snipe infantry out of garrisons like Jaegar
- Shorter/no delay before firing

IDK, something to make them more viable. They almost cost twice as much as Pathfinders, with their only real advantage over them being a very long range and slight anti-vehicle capability.

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 21 Jun 2015, 19:25
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 10884

I once had eight of them get crushed by a single Humvee. :T

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
jlwh86
post 21 Jun 2015, 19:40
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 10451

slight damage buff would be good

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 22 Jun 2015, 9:01
Post #9

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

The issue the Heavy sniper has atm is its really good vs gla... And thats it.
So yes, i like the ideas of giving it an anti vehicle ammo swap and reducing the min range.
the Snipe infantry out of garrisons idea may work seeing that grenadiers lost the ability, so it would be nice. Plus given how line of sight works in this game on really urban maps i cant think of any where it would be truly op on a dense urban map.

The idea to make them Uncrushable when deployed is a must. Seriously, they just get ran over more often than when they get shot down and because they cost $700 its not only economically shit, but gameplay wise it just feels really REALLY bad.

If we do all that, then i think we should remove the stealth. Ive never liked the idea of them stealthing tbh because it just feels exactly like the pathfinder, and i personally don't like the idea of clone units.

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
ZunZero97
post 22 Jun 2015, 9:44
Post #10

A Legendary Fox
Group Icon

Member No.: 10865
a man who play videogames, What are you waiting for me?

QUOTE (8igDaddy8lake @ 21 Jun 2015, 12:00) *
Yeah, they do seem a little too niche at the moment for a $700 infantry unit. They have long range and one-shot almost any infantry (Shock Troopers are problematic there), but suffer against anything else. There are a few different things that could address this:
- No minimum range
- Able to garrison
- Slightly more damage
- Some kind of extra ability (maybe explosive Raufoss rounds? Or they could have a laser designator and the Howitzer Targeting ability that the Bloodhound has)

IDK, something to make them more viable. They almost cost twice as much as Pathfinders, with their only real advantage over them being a very long range and slight anti-vehicle capability.

agree with you keke.gif

+Quote Post
Sanguivorant
post 22 Jun 2015, 10:00
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 11489

I would definitely not mind trading off its stealth for a smaller delay before firing and being uncrushable.

I believe this unit has the potential to snipe off artillery units unreachable by normal defences. In games vs. AI, I use heavy snipers to take out Buratinos or that other artillery unit they have before they either get close enough or destroy one of my defences.

This post has been edited by Sanguivorant: 22 Jun 2015, 10:01

+Quote Post
Vinrock
post 22 Jun 2015, 10:27
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 11192

QUOTE (RikerZZZ @ 22 Jun 2015, 10:01) *
The issue the Heavy sniper has atm is its really good vs gla... And thats it.
So yes, i like the ideas of giving it an anti vehicle ammo swap and reducing the min range.
the Snipe infantry out of garrisons idea may work seeing that grenadiers lost the ability, so it would be nice. Plus given how line of sight works in this game on really urban maps i cant think of any where it would be truly op on a dense urban map.

The idea to make them Uncrushable when deployed is a must. Seriously, they just get ran over more often than when they get shot down and because they cost $700 its not only economically shit, but gameplay wise it just feels really REALLY bad.

If we do all that, then i think we should remove the stealth. Ive never liked the idea of them stealthing tbh because it just feels exactly like the pathfinder, and i personally don't like the idea of clone units.

Agreed.

--------------------
Greetings, Vinrock

+Quote Post
XAttus
post 22 Jun 2015, 11:09
Post #13

Arena maker
Group Icon

Member No.: 10203

let me tell you a cool story:

it's a 2.0 unit that got added ONLY because of buggies. That's the only reason you see them and can use them right now in 1.85. So it's not surprising that you find them a bit lacking but their purpose is to kill buggies, and they do that really well esp. in pandurs.

I'm sure they will stay the way they are so.. yeah. Keep this in mind and read my post before you go further with your ideas. smile.gif

--------------------
XAttus
-game anyone?

The Hunter
- Nobody wants to play bombtruck simulator with you

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 22 Jun 2015, 11:45
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (XAttus @ 22 Jun 2015, 7:09) *
it's a 2.0 unit that got added ONLY because of buggies.

Perhaps this is the problem; so to solve this impasse could be added in your description: "produces to deal EXCLUSIVELY with Buggys." tongue.gif

The idea of a unit designed solely to deter other unit is something weired and would be the first time in an RTS that I see something like this.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 22 Jun 2015, 13:01
Post #15

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (XAttus @ 22 Jun 2015, 12:09) *
it's a 2.0 unit that got added ONLY because of buggies. That's the only reason you see them and can use them right now in 1.85.

Lets be honest, this is horrible design, specially since i dont feel they are very good in they only role, hell i actually find them pretty mediocre at it

--------------------

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 22 Jun 2015, 13:05
Post #16

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

Crazy ideas:

-Anti-air sniper. Should be balanced by increasing the cost. Can only shoot at helicopters, useless against jets.

-Self-destruct upon being crushed by enemy vehicles.

-Suppressing volley fire with over 10 shots continuously, with a 30 seconds cool down. Will not hit the target everytime, though.

This post has been edited by X1Destroy: 22 Jun 2015, 13:06

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 22 Jun 2015, 13:34
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 9155

QUOTE (DELETED MEMBER @ 22 Jun 2015, 15:01) *
Lets be honest, this is horrible design, specially since i dont feel they are very good in they only role, hell i actually find them pretty mediocre at it

Might as well try to persuade SWRTeam to cut them off from 1.85 release, then.
ECA doesn't currently need a Sniper that is equal to pathfinder in their sniping role, balance-wise.

Also, why isn't this thread in 1.851 forum section? Heavy Snipers were changed in 1.851, their discussion should belong in there, imho.

This post has been edited by Knjaz.: 22 Jun 2015, 13:36

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 22 Jun 2015, 13:39
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 22 Jun 2015, 9:34) *
Also, why isn't this thread in 1.851 forum section? Heavy Snipers were changed in 1.851, their discussion should belong in there, imho.

I do not remember to see any topic dealing with Heavy Sniper there, anyway this topic can be moved.

--------------------

+Quote Post
8igDaddy8lake
post 22 Jun 2015, 13:51
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 10285

QUOTE (XAttus @ 22 Jun 2015, 6:09) *
let me tell you a cool story:

it's a 2.0 unit that got added ONLY because of buggies. That's the only reason you see them and can use them right now in 1.85. So it's not surprising that you find them a bit lacking but their purpose is to kill buggies, and they do that really well esp. in pandurs.

I'm sure they will stay the way they are so.. yeah. Keep this in mind and read my post before you go further with your ideas. smile.gif

Keeping that in mind, I'm trying to suggest things that are only slight buffs, and not going to completely imbalance everything. Personally, I think the Howitzer designate ability and/or anti-garrison snipe would be enough to make it viable and have a distinct role besides Buggy zapping. But honestly, I still sometimes use them as extra long-range support for my defensive lines anyways.

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 22 Jun 2015, 18:27
Post #20

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Member No.: 10450

I'd prefer if they werent crushable by Viechles.

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
teslashark
post 24 Jun 2015, 14:59
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 10319

QUOTE (X1Destroy @ 22 Jun 2015, 5:05) *
-Self-destruct upon being crushed by enemy vehicles.

YEEEEEEEESSSSS!

--------------------
And then...

+Quote Post
M01
post 24 Jun 2015, 16:03
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 10658
Yo buddy... Still Alive?

QUOTE (8igDaddy8lake @ 22 Jun 2015, 0:00) *
- No minimum range
- Able to garrison
- Slightly more damage

Some comments on yours
- It has a minimum range (very low to low)
- code wise that would be impossible, (see the grenadiers/1.851 Pioneers reason why it can't enter structures)
- this might actually useful
- I thought 1.851 Heavy Sniper's deployed stealth was it's special ability?
- point taken but Jager can now engage both ground vehicles, structures and clear infantry in garrisons
- or make the first shot upon seeing a target (or just faster deploy rate would be good if we choose the venom protocol

If you want to make them very useful, make three of them reach heroic and deploy them at choke points or to defend derricks/tech buildings (1.851)

Btw is there any benefits these guys receive when we choose venom protocol (except the move speed bonus)

PS this thread needs to be moved to the public beta testing thread (just sayin')

+Quote Post
Mcbob
post 24 Jun 2015, 23:01
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 52

Since they are a non-garrison, deploy to fire, uncrushable would be great. Additionally, it would be nice to have a spotter guy with the main sniper.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 24 Jun 2015, 23:37
Post #24

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

QUOTE (Mcbob @ 25 Jun 2015, 1:01) *
Since they are a non-garrison, deploy to fire, uncrushable would be great. Additionally, it would be nice to have a spotter guy with the main sniper.

This would make them unable to switch places in a pandur with a felin....and it would make it unable to enter a lynx.The second part is key for me atleast I love to assault and ambush buggys who think they got the upper hand agaisnt me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mcbob
post 25 Jun 2015, 2:59
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 52

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 24 Jun 2015, 23:37) *
This would make them unable to switch places in a pandur with a felin....and it would make it unable to enter a lynx.The second part is key for me atleast I love to assault and ambush buggys who think they got the upper hand agaisnt me.

Oh my glob I completely forgot about this. Nevermind then, hah!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17 June 2024 - 6:58