Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: game.dat...?
SWR Productions Forum > Game Modding and Development > Generals/Zerohour Modding
Lcpl Carrow
So...my game.dat file stopped working. Don't know why, as I've never messed with it, but I've tried repairing the install and nothing happens. Is anything short of a full reinstall going to work, because I'm deployed in Afghanistan and only have the ZH play disk with me?

I realize this may not quite be the right place, but I'm kinda pressed for time and this is the best spot I could come up with. It's been a long time and a lot has changed since I was last here. *Looks around wistfully*
Destiny
As long as your Generals is there you can uninstall and reinstall ZH fine, since it's a seperate folder...correct me if I'm wrong, otherwise you could always use...

...unorthodox methods to play ZH again.
Lcpl Carrow
I don't have the second ZH disk, only the play disk. So I would be very intrigued to learn of these...unorthodox methods to play ZH again.
wb21
Well tough luck if you don't have the second disc to reinstall the game and fix the issue. If you need to, you may have to find other alternative ways by yourself (as discussing it here is a violation of the Forum Rule § 6).
Frostyarmy
Can i PM them instead I8.gif
Lcpl Carrow
I wouldn't mind if you did, but idk if that is allowed either.
MARS
Personally, I wouldn't give a rat's arse about § 6 as long as we're talking about ZH. The game is old and infamous for some of its bugs. Offering a little 'help' to bypass some of those is no big deal in MY opinion, but SWR's official policy says otherwise, so here's an idea: How about you guys sort this out via email or IM, if possible? That way, any discussion of 'unorthodox methods' remains safely outside the jurisdiction of this forum AND you may find the help you asked for. And I'll just walk out of this thread, pretending I haven't seen anything; after all, there are no links to warez, cracks or otherwise objectionable material on this page, am I right? wink.gif

Also, it's good to see you, Carrow. Be careful out there, Marine.
Wi-Ta
I think this is more a repair than anything else.
I think Patch 1.4 is with game.dat you can try this first.
Pickysaurus
I seem to remember you saying you have a MoD (or whatever country you represent) computer, which forbids downloads... in which case, you're a little screwed tbh :/
Wi-Ta
QUOTE (Lcpl Carrow @ 3 Mar 2010, 15:17) *
Damn this government computer! No downloading, or death by 1st Sgt! furious.gif

I actually think he can download.
Lcpl Carrow
@ Rayburn: Thanks buddy, it's good to be back, though it'll only be for a week or so before I go back out to the platoon, where we don't have internet. shit.gif

Also, I didn't really have any cracks or illegal things in mind, I was just wondering if anyone knew what the problem might be and how I might fix it. My computer has been going kinda batshit crazy lately, and so I was looking in the ZH directory, beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what might be wrong, and I realized that the icon representing game.dat is different than what it normally is. This means that the computer is trying to open it with the wrong program...riiiiiight? So...does anyone know what the correct program to open it with is? It's not ZH, because I tried that already. Repairing the install doesn't help either, my idea is that somehow the computer's setting for what program to use to open game.dat got changed, and I need to change it back to what it should be to get it to work.

@ Pickysaurus & Wi-Ta: Yes, I'm on a DoD computer, and while there aren't any actual obstacles to stop me from downloading, I'm not allowed to, or to hook my external hard drive up to the computer, so if I get caught, then...death by 1st Sgt. Also, I can't hook my laptop up to the internet, for all the same reasons. I guess it's a security thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.